Outline of a Metaphoric Post.
What peeling an onion can teach us about knowing our true selves (working title)
* You think you know yourself, till you dig deeper
The journey to know Yourself is like peeling an onion for the first time. You think you know the onion by looking at the surface, but as you remove the surface a more deeper part of the onion reveals itself.
There’s not just one level, but several levels to your self
* Keep peeling and you will see even more deeper levels of the onion. Similarly by practicing meditation you’ll realize you’ve got a Physical self, mental self, emotional self, a self image, a spiritual self.
* Knowing yourself is a journey
Peeling an onion is done in steps. Similarly the journey to know your true self happens in stages.
* Be ready to shed tears
Peeling an onion can bring tears to your eyes. Likewise during the journey to know yourself, you may find yourself in tears when detaching your identity from the material world.
* When you finally reach the core. You reach the indivisible self.
The onion has a core which you cannot peel further. Likewise, on the journey to know your true self you will reach a stage where you no longer have to look further. This is the stage the Propehts of the past & Mystics have reached.
* The onion ceases to be an onion without it’s layers.
Knowing your true self doesn’t mean you have to discard the other levels of your self. It means you no longer just identify yourself as a physical or emotional being, rather you understand all the dimensions & be more complete. You realize the different roles you’re playing in your life (husband, father, employee citizen) without getting attached. By knowing your true identity you get the power to control yourself all the different levels: Physical, emotional, mental & spiritual.