Day 2 – Tuesday: How to make reading your content effortless
Is your content easy to read?
The average number of words per sentence and the percentage of passive sentences are the main factors to determine how readable your text is.
Today you focus on getting rid of passive sentences (if you have any) and reducing the number of words per sentence.
Your action points for today
- Read the PDF Why Passive Sentences Suck
- Read the PDF How to Make Your Content More Readable (with an extra example showing how to change corporate blah-blah into readable content)
- Optional: Re-read yesterday’s example (see transcript)
- Edit your blog post – if your average is more than 14 words per sentence, edit until you get to fewer than 14 words. If your average is already fewer than 14 words, try reducing it by another 2 per sentence (you can decide which version you prefer).
- Publish your edited post in the forum, mention the average number of words per sentence and let us know whether you managed to get rid of all passive sentences
Note: No perfect score exists. You can play with your sentence length to see what suits your voice most.
Click here to download the PDF Why the Passive Voice Sucks (opens a new tab)
Click here to download the PDF How to Make Your Content More Readable (opens a new tab)
Enchant readers. Woo customers. Win business.